Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Secret to a Long Life

I read an article today by food writer, Ann Parker. "Nostalgic noshing in Watsonville," all about the great hot dogs at Taylor Brothers. I've never tried their dogs, and think I'll get the chance today after my art class at Cabrillo. It brought back memories of my dearly departed mother, may she rest in peace.

She died when she was 92. At about 90, I asked her, "Mom, what's the secret to a long life?" In her low and deep voice she said, "Eat hot dogs and french fries!" Some time thereafter, I took her to Costco, for a hot dog and shopping. While we walked around the store, we came across an Aidell's sausage demo. They handed us little skewered sausage bites, and I said to her, "Mom, tell these ladies what's the secret to a long life," (thinking she'd say Hot Dogs), and she said with a devilish grin, "Being a Bitch!" Nobody ever knew what was going to come out of her mouth!

What does this have to do with encaustic painting, you may ask. I am wondering myself! I guess I'm thinking of my mom, and how much I miss her.

1 comment:

Ricë said...

i love this--it made me grin.